SOCIAL MEDIA

9.06.2017

Lessons from the Arch

Wherever you are in life, enjoy your journey!

I decided to take a day to myself the other day to read in Central Park. It was a wonderful way to get out of my head and to take a nature break from the concrete jungle. I didn't expect to learn anything that day, but sometimes the best lessons come when you least expect it.

Walking back to my dorm, I noticed a small crowd around the arch in Washington Square Park. Just another street performer, I thought. However, as I got closer, this performer stood out to me for many reasons. I mean, besides the fact that this guy was painted like a marble statue and climbing on the arch. Even though this was crazy, the thing that got me was that not only was he climbing, but his eyes were closed the whole time so as to keep up the illusion that he really was a part of the arch.



I've had my ups and downs moving across the country for college.


I only came to the city a week ago, but I already have felt every emotion possible. The more time I've been away from home, the more it has dawned on me that I really am away from home. Far away. The past two days in general have been wrought with bouts of homesickness.

I was so excited to start classes, but I'd also been warned of the toll it takes. Becoming a better actor involves being pushed out of your comfort zone, exposing your feelings, and facing your greatest fears; as much as I want to grow in the field of acting, I am terrified of the process that leads to that growth.

There are things in the city that I'm scared of: walking alone, being in crowded areas, being lost, blah, blah, blah (insert feminist rant about the reasons why these are fears and why they shouldn't be - but that's for another post). Being dropped off alone to be an independent adult is hard, and it's an adjustment. Lots of times my anxiety comes to the party right when it's least wanted.

There will always be hardships, but we have to learn to look past them.


Statue Guy never opened his eyes - he had no way of knowing how many people were watching him, if he was close to falling, or how much money (if any) he was making - and yet he kept performing. And while he was giving a great show, he gave me an even greater lesson. There are going to be times when I don't know what's happening, when I'm scared, when I feel lost, when I'm homesick, when I want to be anywhere but here. But the important thing is that, in spite of all of that, I keep going. Being where I am now is where I've dreamed about being all my life. I've worked so hard to be here, and I will keep working hard to pursue my dreams. Even if my eyes are closed, I will keep performing.

Lots of love,

2 comments :

  1. Hi, how we enjoy your blogs and how we laughed at the horrible picture of yourself. Grandpa will be writing to you shortly. Your experiences bring back our days of college where we met may acquaintances. And I say acquaintance. We wrote to each other every Christmas after that, I was maid honor at some weddings but my closest friends (except Sr. Lorna from college) were from my little town of Gile, Wisconsin. I think that your Dad can say the same thing of his friends. Your sharing of your thoughts and feelings are a true gift;Keep it up. Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Grandma! I'm glad you enjoyed reading my blog and that the picture made you laugh. I love you!

      Delete

My New Year's Resolutions

For the past month,  I've kind of been pretending that it's not 2019 already...it feels like it was only yesterday that I was g...