SOCIAL MEDIA

4.29.2018

What Freshman Year of College Taught Me



When I sat down this morning at Starbucks, with a tea in hand and my Spotify set to my favorite playlist, I had no idea what I was going to write about. So, instead of forcing myself to work on a post that I wasn't really committed to for the sake of writing something, I decided just to write my grocery list. When I opened my planner, though, it really hit me: I only have one week left of my freshman year.

I am truly in shock that the year went by as fast as it did. Eight months ago, I packed up all of my things (in way too many suitcases, I might add) and flew across the country to a place I had only been once before. Somehow, those eight months have both flown by and taken a long time - funny how time works, right? There were days when I felt like I hadn't been home in forever and that I couldn't wait for the year to end. Looking back now, though, I don't know where the time went. 

Everybody's freshman year of college is different, but it's almost guaranteed that everyone is in the same boat as you: new, not knowing anyone, leaving their families and towns and states probably for the first time. And while it's scary, it really changes you. If I were to go back in time 32 weeks, I would have lots of advice to tell "August 2017 Sophie".

Making friends isn't as scary as it seems. 


Like I said before, everybody is feeling the same thing you are - scared, unsure of their surroundings, and intimidated by the amount of people they don't know. It's okay. It seems like an obstacle that you don't know anyone, but it's actually an advantage. You're a clean slate, and so are the people around you! So don't be afraid to walk up to someone, introduce yourself, and get talking (trust me, it gets easier with time).

Budgeting is extremely important. 


I think this is a lesson I'm still learning, if we're being completely honest. Learning how to budget was less of a lesson on how spending works and more of a lesson on just how much life costs (hint: it's a LOT more than you would think - especially if you're living in a big city). Start keeping a close track of your money from the get-go, make sure you set aside appropriate amounts of money to allow you to buy things like groceries and toiletries, and maybe even save a certain amount each month in case of emergencies. Don't forget to treat yourself, though!

Some rules are meant to be broken. 


How do we learn lessons if we don't make mistakes? I've struggled a lot this year about being okay with the occasional mistake, whether that be skipping a class, messing up a line in my scene, forgetting a homework assignment, staying up too late on a Sunday night, or even just eating way too much candy because nobody was there to advise me to stop. But, honestly, what is college if not a breeding ground for mistakes to happen? Better to make a mistake while you're still somewhat dependent on your parents and school before you're completely on your own.

Your roommate does not have to be your best friend. 


Seriously. I know it's said a lot, but there still is this stigma that you have to be super tight-knit with your roommate(s). It's okay not to be besties with your roomie!! As long as you can get along, and you respect each other's space, you're good to go. Just because you live with someone doesn't mean you're obligated to be friends, or even to really like them - you just have to be respectful and civil.
On the flip end of this, if you happen to become friends with your roommate, that's okay too! I lucked out this year to end up being really close to one of my roommates, and it's so much fun to be able to share a space with someone you get along with so well.

You are more capable than you think you are. 


Your first few weeks of freshman year can leave you feeling completely helpless. How are you supposed to just start doing everything on your own? It won't take long for you to learn, though, that it really isn't as scary or as hard as it looks. I've had to call and make doctor's appointments, find new places alone, navigate the airport and fly solo - these are things that I was terrified to do on my own, but they're not as scary as they seem.  Maybe it took me a while to realize it, but I can do way more than I originally gave myself credit for - and, even when you make a mistake, you have the opportunity to learn and grow from it (it helps to be able to laugh at yourself)!

Don't take things too seriously. 


Yes, college is school, and you should always take your education seriously, but I mean in life. This first year is all about learning how to function as an independent person, as you. And sometimes, to learn how to do something, you have to learn how not to do it. So if you make a couple mistakes, or you do something embarrassing, it's okay - it's not the end of the world, and I promise that nobody is going to be thinking about it for longer than a few seconds. They have their own things to worry about.

Be unapologetically you. 


I learned more about myself in the last eight months than I think I have in the last five years! It's crazy what such a drastic change in environment can do to a person. On top of that, the program that I'm in continually pushes me out of my comfort zone, and has helped me grow as not only an actor, but as a person, so much. Just a couple years ago, I was somebody who was so introverted and anxiety-ridden, and I kind of let it dictate my life: in no way would I describe myself as "go-with-the-flow" and I had a lot of problems with self-confidence. Even though I still have a lot of these aspects (I'm still introverted, I still struggle with anxiety and confidence sometimes), as they are a huge part of my identity, I have felt a complete shift in how I let those parts of me affect how I interact with the world around me. I have less fear opening up to people, more confidence in general about what I can do, and am okay if something doesn't go exactly how I planned it to go. I've let loose a lot more, and honestly, I feel more like myself.

It's hard to articulate how insane it is that only one year of school has taught me so much about myself and life. Some people think that their college experience will be a lot like a movie, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. Throughout the year, I went through a roller coaster of ups and downs; in no way would I categorize the year as "easy" in any capacity. College isn't the tropes of cutting class and partying - but it is a great catalyst for personal growth (I know, this sounds really cheesy, but it's true). It's also a lot of work, and even after you think you've gotten the hang of it, something else comes along to test you.

So, here I am, almost a year into blogging (!!), and two short weeks away from being back in my hometown for the summer and out of my extra-long twin bed. I know there's still way more room to grow, and three more years to do that in, but for now I can proudly say that I couldn't be happier with where I am.

Lots of love,

1 comment :

My New Year's Resolutions

For the past month,  I've kind of been pretending that it's not 2019 already...it feels like it was only yesterday that I was g...